Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Amazon better than husband

I love this article in The Onion, "Amazon Recommendations Understand Area Woman Better Than Husband".

Some extended excerpts:
Pamela Meyers was delighted to receive yet another thoughtful CD recommendation from Amazon.com Friday, confirming that the online retail giant has a more thorough, individualized, and nuanced understanding of Meyers' taste than the man who occasionally claims to love her, husband Dean Meyers.

While the powerful algorithms that power Amazon's recommendations generator do not have the advantage of being able to observe Meyers' body language, verbal intonation, or current personal possessions, they have nonetheless proven more effective than Dean, who bases his gift-giving choices primarily on what is needed around the house, what he would like to own, and, most notably, what objects are nearby.

"I don't know how Amazon picked up on my growing interest in world music so quickly, but I absolutely love this traditional Celtic CD," Meyers said. "I like it so much more than that Keith Urban thing Dean got me. I'm really not sure what made him think I like country music."

"I was having some tea from that Nebraska Cornhuskers mug Dean got me for Valentine's Day, when a little e-mail from Amazon popped up out of the blue," Meyers said. "Just completely out of the blue."

"It was nice to know that on my birthday, someone or something was out there thinking about me, and what boxed sets I wanted," she added.

While Amazon is almost always accurate, the company does occasionally make a gift recommendation that does not suit her tastes ... Still, Meyers lauded Amazon's attempts at spontaneity. "At least it's trying," said Meyers.
Very amusing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool!

On a fun note, maybe the husband was being more intelligent by not giving her an interesting present and thus saving the expenditure caused by her new interest :D