Friday, March 02, 2007

Singing your engineers away

After hearing that Yahoo is going to feature a "journalist-cum-crooner who will sing the news", Rich Skrenta slams Yahoo:
Yahoo has truly lost its way and needs to fix it right now.

Serious Yahoo engineers -- quit before further damage is done to your resumes.

I will hire you. Google will hire you. Someone will hire you. You will be happier in an org that values tech and scale and algorithms.

Get out of there!
Heh, heh.

It is a little funny that the singing news hoser is what pushes some over the edge on Yahoo. I thought it was much worse when Yahoo CFO Susan Decker publicly gave up on search by saying, "It's not our goal to be No. 1 in Internet search. We would be very happy to maintain our market share."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you mean "Signing" away?

Greg Linden said...

No, I mean singing, but maybe the title is too obscure and makes it seem like an error.

I was trying to draw a comparison in people's minds between Yahoo singing the news as engineers leave and fiddling while Rome burns.

Maybe it doesn't work well. Sorry about that.

burtonator said...

BTW..... if you're a brilliant engineer at Yahoo then Tailrank will hire you to.

Did I mention we give our stock to employees and NOT VCs ;)

Kevin

manny hernandez said...

I agree it's kinda weird that they accepted their second place so "comfortably". I hadn't heard the CFO state that, but I believe I saw a press release from them somewhere recently and it did position them as "the #2 Search Engine..."

In any case, even if (some) engineers end up leaving, Yahoo! will bounce back. As much as I love Google, I respect Yahoo! too much and I trust they will continue to make good choices with things like they did with Flickr and Del.icio.us.

Any way... congrats a on a very cool blog. I will add your feed to my reader. Is it cool if I hit you up on LinkedIn too?